Muskegon County Habitat for Humanity works with families across Muskegon County to build new, energy-efficient homes with our partner families. To date, MCHFH has built or repaired homes with more than 150 partner families, including 83 single parents and over 300 children throughout the county.
More than half of all adults have made at least one tradeoff in the past three years to cover their rent or mortgage. Tradeoffs include taking a second job, cutting back on health care and healthy food, and moving to less safe neighborhoods.
Children of homeowners are 25 percent more likely to graduate from high school and 116 percent more likely to graduate from college compared with children in families who do not own their own homes.
Muskegon County Habitat for Humanity offers low-to-moderate income families the opportunity to own a home. Becoming a Habitat homeowner requires commitment, responsibility and deep involvement.
In order to partner with us, you must meet the following preliminary criteria:
- You must be a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States.
- You must have lived or worked in Muskegon County for at least 12 months. Affiliates for other vicinities can be found at habitatmichigan.org.
- Your yearly income must fall within our income guidelines, which are adjusted for family size (refer to the Income Table on the Selection Criteria page). Income includes wages, Social Security, disability, SSI, TANF and child support.
- You must have one year of continuous income.
- You must have a reasonably good credit history. It must be at least two years since you discharged any bankruptcies, and you must be making payments on your debts.
- You must have a need for housing because your current housing is unaffordable, unsafe, or overcrowded.
- You must partner with Muskegon County Habitat for Humanity and contribute "sweat equity," helping to build your home as well as other families' homes, and attend educational workshops. All families must complete at least 275 hours.
If you meet these criteria, then please call us for more information or click the link below to find out more!